Friday, March 30, 2018

pack mule character


today at work I scribbled a couple of rough character sketches.  This one caught my attention and I thought it would be a fun character to draw out.  The character has a long snout, longhorn bull head with a ring in its nose.  A very strong and heavy upper body, but then small goat-like legs.  I then gave it a tail to help support its heavy upper body.  

I brought the rough sketch into Photoshop and dimmed the layer and started drawing some line art on top of it.  After drawing out the full sketch with the weapon in its hand above its head... it looked odd to me.  At this point I felt the weapon looked goofy just holding it above his head for no apparent reason...  A weapon is heavy and not something you would typically hold above your head.  I then thought it might be fun to make him like a "pack mule" carrying a heavy load.  I sketched it out and liked it... but then felt it needed a reason to be carrying such a load... and then thought up the idea that he was a mercenary / pack mule employee of a wealthy merchant.  My mind naturally went to a goblin... and I threw one on top.

I then finished up the line art and am pleased with the results... I would love to throw some color onto this thing and really bring it to life.  Im thinking tomorrow I will spend some time ding that.

Happy Friday

No comments: